Bootscript reorganization

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu Jul 7 20:05:37 PDT 2011

Zachary Kotlarek wrote:
> I haven't ever found a use for a DHCPv6 client,

Dynamic DNS: having the DHCP server update the DNS server with A, AAAA,
PTR, and (well, uh... more PTR) records for each client that registers
with it (and which sends a hostname in the request, of course, but AFAIK
this is the default for windows, and is possible with flags to dhcpcd;
never looked into dhclient).

I dislike having the DHCP client update DNS on its own, because (a) that
requires some sort of authentication to do correctly (rather than just a
shared key between the DHCP and DNS servers, which is what I have now),
and (b) nothing cleans up the DNS records when the leases expire (say,
the machine goes hard down because someone unplugs it).