Bootscript reorganization

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 09:31:15 PDT 2011

I've been looking at the bootscripts and want to do some fairly major
reorganization.  I'm putting this out as a basis of discussion.

1.  Remove /etc/sysconfig/rc

Presently this does

rc_base=/etc/rc.d
rc_functions=${rc_base}/init.d/functions
network_devices=/etc/sysconfig/network-devices

The indirection this provides does not appear to be needed to me.  Each
boot script now does:

. /etc/sysconfig/rc
. ${rc_functions}

I don't see a need for this.  Each script can have this replaced with
the simpler

. /etc/rc.d/functions

2.  Remove /etc/sysconfig/network-devices

Move the scripts ifdown, iftest, and ifup to /sbin.  Integrate
ipv4-static* into the if* commands.

3.  Place all configuration parameters for the network into
/etc/sysconfig/network.

This would include the HOSTNAME as well as any information in
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.*/*

---

I think these changes will make the LFS bootscripts more understandable
and easier to administer.  There will be a lot of changes as basically
every bootscript will have to be touched.  Sections 7.11 and 7.13.2 of
the book will also have to be reworked.

We can use the opportunity to review and update the /etc/rc.d/rc and
/etc/rc.d/functions scripts.

I am requesting feedback.

   -- Bruce