glibc issues with --enable-kernel=2.6.22.5

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Fri Jan 21 23:41:39 PST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Dubbs" <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2011 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: glibc issues with --enable-kernel=2.6.22.5

>> what about changing that glibc configure line into something like:
>> enable-kernel=`uname -r | awk -F. '{ print $1"."$2"."$3 }'`
>> So that any of these versions could be convenient ?
>
> That's not a bad idea, but if the user's host kernel is too old, then we
> get failures in the glibc tests.  It's nice to have a clean test.  I'm
> not sure if the test failures are a real problem though.  Of course it
> depends on what functionality fails.
>
>    -- Bruce

I have only one failure with --enable-kernel=2.6.5, glibc-2.11.3 and i486
build.
 [/usr/src/glibc-build/elf/check-localplt.out] Error 1

This happen on any host I build with different kernel
2.6.18-194.26.1.el5 (centos-5.5)
2.6.26-2-686 (debian-5 lenny)
2.6.27.57 (gentoo selfcompiled kernel)
2.6.32-26-generic (ubuntu-10.04)

I think that would be a bad idea to require a kernel above 2.6.32, due to
the numerous distrib using this kernel flavour.

Gilles