Should xz-utils installed before man-db

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 4 09:54:55 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 10:54:23AM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> xinglp wrote these words on 01/04/11 10:49 CST:
> > It seems that man-db depends on xz-utils.
> >
> > The configure out puts below
> >
> > 111 checking for pic... pic
> > 112 checking for gzip... gzip
> > 113 checking for compress... no
> > 114 checking for bzip2... bzip2
> > 115 checking for xz... xz
> > 116 checking for gzopen in -lz... yes
>
> Good observation. CC'ing -dev as this is a -dev issue. Anyway, if man-db
> can use XZ compression, we might as well put XZ-Utils in a position where
> man-db can use it.

 On my current LFS+ build (where I put xz after bzip2 in chapter5,
and right at the end of chapter6) I had

checking for gzip... gzip
checking for compress... no
checking for bzip2... bzip2
checking for xz... xz
checking for gzopen in -lz... yes

 I've confirmed that man can use a .xz page with the above build
order.

ĸen