Website

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com
Wed Mar 17 15:02:06 PDT 2010

On Mar 17, 2010, at 5:34 PM, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Welcome back...again :-)

Thanks. I'm not sure how 'back' I am, but I'm still interested in what goes on in LFS-land.

> It looks better than the current site, certainly.
>
> I think I'd prefer to see the green menu bar & blue menu bar swapped
> around.  To me, the top-level menu should be at the top, and the
> 'sub-menu' should be underneath.

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm sure something could be worked out there.
I think my fear for putting the site items up above was that it would appear
top-heavy (since they were larger). Although I'm sure it could be adjusted.

> The bottom paragraph overflows the right-hand 'margin' (underneath the
> google ads), which looks a little odd when compared to the paragraphs
> above it.

Yeah, that's somewhat intentional. Maybe this isn't an issue for LFS, but
I personally dislike sites that have a sidebar on pages with lots of text
and when you scroll down the page you end up with a big empty column where
the sidebar is but has no content.

> Aside from those minor nits, it looks nice!
>
> Now, if we (err, you! :)) could 'theme' wiki.linuxfromscratch.org
> similarly, I'd prefer to have all of www.linuxfromscratch.org under the
> trac system, if that's possible?

Yeah, I could definitely do that. I spent some time not long ago theming Trac
for a personal project. I can get tricky, but it's definitely do-able.

As another possibility (which I won't push, because I really don't care :-) ),
I switched to Redmine for myself just a bit ago (http://www.redmine.org/) and its
feature set is really impressive. Plus it's ridiculously easy to migrate to from Trac.
Lastly, you can set up Apache SVN access to authenticate through Redmine which means,
if you ever decide to give someone commit access, you can do so through the
Redmine system and don't have to give them another account in the system.

One last thing to think about: the current site could just be 'themed' with the
new layout/appearance, or you could take the opportunity to do two other things:

1. Assess the status of 'dead' projects and determine how to handle them
2. Use a PHP-driven website for advanced features on the site.

Just thoughts. Like I said, I don't really have a personal preference for any
of the above wrt LFS, but will certainly help with anything you all decide.

--
JH