glibc, chapter 5.7

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Thu Mar 11 10:20:51 PST 2010

On 03/11/2010 10:57 AM, Tobias Gasser wrote:
> Tobias Gasser schrieb:
> as the solution is quite easy, i just wanted to know, wether anybody can
>   confirm similar failures with other distros as host.
>
> i guess with binutils pass2 and gcc pass2 this CC/AR/RANLIB construction
> is needed, as otherwise the hosts tools will intercept the same way as
> it does on my ubuntu with glib. as this construct is needed until gcc
> pass 2 is done, i guess it would be save to add it to the glib too.

No, it is not necessary. All that's needed to avoid host tools is
following the book's instructions. That is it. If anything else is
"necessary", it means you've goofed up and need to go back to the beginning.

> after finishing the new system, i restarted again from within the new
> system and had no problem. this time i did NOT add the CC/AR/RANLIB.
> as the hosts tools and the new toolchain sould almost be the same (i
> didn't check filesizes or make a diff, but they are built both from the
> same source - it probably does not matter wether the hosts or the new
> tools ar used)
>

> just one more question: even if you have no problem without the
> CC/AR/RANLIB setting, are you really shure the new tools are used to
> build glib?

If you really want to be sure, you can tell that from Glibc's configure
and make output - just look to make sure it's using $LFS_TGT-gcc instead
of plain "gcc".