glibc, chapter 5.7

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Tue Mar 9 22:01:27 PST 2010

On 03/10/2010 12:22 AM, stosss wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Chris Staub<chris at beaker67.com>  wrote:
>
> If this was for me, I am not using Ubuntu. I do all my LFS builds with
> an LFS LiveCD.
>
> The OP is using Ubuntu and I have seen a lot of other posts in this
> and other mailing lists where there is some strange behavior with
> Ubuntu compared to just about any other distribution. That was the
> reason behind my post. I have tried different Ubuntu distributions and
> I don't like any of them or any that were spawned from them. I do like
> Debian though and Ubuntu came from that one.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Ubuntu. If you are following the
LFS book, the only times you will *ever* need sudo are during the
initial setup in Chapters 2-4, and the beginning of Chapter 6. If the
build of Glibc is attempting to use host tools, that can only be because
the user has missed something earlier in Chapter 5. This is true
regardless of the host.

Besides, the only problems I've seen with Ubuntu have to do with needing
to install a couple extra packages - mainly "build-essential", Bison,
and Gawk. Long as you got those, Ubuntu works fine. Most "problems"
early in the build, particularly those that in any way involve host
system isuses, are due to users who skim too quickly over the beginning
of the book, in particular the "Host System Requirements" page.