grep 2.5.4 fmbtest test failure

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 15:40:44 PST 2010

Larry Gilbert wrote:
> Guy Dalziel <krendoshazin <at> dementedfury.org> writes:
>
>> For Grep in chapter 6 we apply a patch of Debian fixes. It seems,
>> however, that it is this patch that is causing fmbtest.sh to fail.
>> The unpatched Grep passed all 14 tests while the patched one did not. I
>> think that we should reconsider the use of it.
>>
>> http://quantum.linuxfromscratch.org/~gdalziel/misc/grep-2.5.4-unpatched.log
>> http://quantum.linuxfromscratch.org/~gdalziel/misc/grep-2.5.4-patched.log
>
> I was about to make a new post about this problem, but then found the post
> above, which dates back to September 4 of last year.  It describes the exact
> problem I've discovered, but I am working from the LFS 6.6 book while the
> message below predates the LFS 6.6 release by months.  Having tests fail with
> the patch while succeeding without it makes me question the need to leave the
> patch as-is, too.

Ken submitted the patch two years ago against grep 2.5.3.  The purpose
of the patch was

locales. Also adds a 'standard input' marker into the results for
certain obscure uses.

---

The tests that fail are for

# Test that --color=always does not depend on individual pattern order
within the pattern
# list, and that a longer match is preferred to a shorter one starting
at the same point.

test6="`echo 'Cosi tu Ä~LiÅ¡Ã~M...' \
    | LC_ALL=cs_CZ.UTF-8 ${GREP} --color=always -${mode}i \
      -e 'Ä~MiÅ¡' -e 'Ä~Miší'`"
if echo "$test6" | LC_ALL=C ${GREP} -q 'Cosi tu
.*\[.*m\(.\[K\)\?Ä~LiÅ¡Ã~M.*\[.*m\(.\[K\)\?\.\.\.'; then
   :
else
   echo "Test #6 ${mode} failed: $test6"
   failures=1
fi

where mode is F.

A similar test fails for test7.

---------

I downloaded the current debian patch and all tests pass against that
patch.

Ken, can you take a look at the new debian patch and create a new lfs
patch for us that fulfills your intent?

---------

As a side note, we need to check jhalfs to see why these failures were
not logged.

   -- Bruce