grep 2.5.4 fmbtest test failure

Larry Gilbert larry+gmane.linux.lfs.devel at l2g.to
Tue Mar 9 13:40:24 PST 2010

Guy Dalziel <krendoshazin <at> dementedfury.org> writes:

> For Grep in chapter 6 we apply a patch of Debian fixes. It seems,
> however, that it is this patch that is causing fmbtest.sh to fail.
> The unpatched Grep passed all 14 tests while the patched one did not. I
> think that we should reconsider the use of it.
>
> http://quantum.linuxfromscratch.org/~gdalziel/misc/grep-2.5.4-unpatched.log
> http://quantum.linuxfromscratch.org/~gdalziel/misc/grep-2.5.4-patched.log

I was about to make a new post about this problem, but then found the post
above, which dates back to September 4 of last year.  It describes the exact
problem I've discovered, but I am working from the LFS 6.6 book while the
message below predates the LFS 6.6 release by months.  Having tests fail with
the patch while succeeding without it makes me question the need to leave the
patch as-is, too.

--Larry Gilbert