Small grammar correction

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 08:36:34 PST 2010

Guy Dalziel wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 04:24:33AM -0500, stosss wrote:
>> - This package contains math libraries and have useful functions for
>> arbitrary precision arithmetic. It is required to build Gcc.
>> + This package contains math libraries and has useful functions for
>> arbitrary precision arithmetic. It is required to build Gcc.
>
> I disagree which the correction, 'has' feels more singular than 'have'
> and therefore I feel that 'have' is correct. However, it would sound
> better if it was changed to "This package contains math libraries which
> have useful functions for arbitrary precision arithmetic."

In American English (is that an oxymoron?) the 'has' refers back to the
package.  I've already fixed the -dev book.

   This package contains math libraries and has useful functions

but it could be

   This package contains math libraries that have useful functions

where 'that have' refers back to the libraries.

Thinking about it, I changed to the 2nd form.

   -- Bruce