Radeon DRM

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 6 03:37:58 PST 2010

On 06/03/10 00:11, Andrew Benton wrote:
> On 05/03/10 23:32, Martin Ward wrote:
>
>> its a bug in udev, if relevant firmware is missing it hangs for about 60
>> secs trying to load the missing module, two ways to fix this
>>
>> either grab the missing firm ware from
>> http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/
>>

> That page has 2 pieces of firmware, R600_rlc.bin and R700_rlc.bin
> my kernel is looking for firmware called RV770_pfp.bin and RV770_me.bin.
>   From dmesg:
>
> platform r600_cp.0: firmware: using built-in firmware radeon/RV770_pfp.bin
> platform r600_cp.0: firmware: using built-in firmware radeon/RV770_me.bin
>

>> or patch udev  with this patch from arch
>> http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/udev/repos/core-i686/firmware-loader-fix-missing-firmware.patch
>>

> No, the hang happens with the firmware built into the kernel (so it doesn't need udev to load)
> and it happens before the kernel has mounted the hard drive, before control is passed to sysvinit
> and before udev is run.
>
> Andy

Sorry my bad, was thinking straight, it's just that the same thing
happened to me , a delay of about 60 seconds before udev finished
locating the relevant bits  it went away.

Very strange that it won't load when built into the kernel, i know a
number of people on the phoronix forums where having the same trouble,
so i went the module way. I get a nice large frame buffer using fbcon.

i had kms running using kernel 2.6.32.7 and xorg server 1.7.4.902 but
was prone to locking up, hence i'm now building with 2.6.33 and the
latest ati driver to see what difference that makes

i'm running a rv610 card (radeon 2400 pro).

martin