Radeon DRM

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 16:11:36 PST 2010

On 05/03/10 23:32, Martin Ward wrote:
> its a bug in udev, if relevant firmware is missing it hangs for about 60
> secs trying to load the missing module, two ways to fix this
>
> either grab the missing firm ware from
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/

That page has 2 pieces of firmware, R600_rlc.bin and R700_rlc.bin
my kernel is looking for firmware called RV770_pfp.bin and RV770_me.bin.
 From dmesg:

platform r600_cp.0: firmware: using built-in firmware radeon/RV770_pfp.bin
platform r600_cp.0: firmware: using built-in firmware radeon/RV770_me.bin

> or patch udev  with this patch from arch
> http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/udev/repos/core-i686/firmware-loader-fix-missing-firmware.patch

No, the hang happens with the firmware built into the kernel (so it doesn't need udev to load)
and it happens before the kernel has mounted the hard drive, before control is passed to sysvinit
and before udev is run.

Andy