E2fsprogs patch

Randy McMurchy lfs.user at mcmurchy.com
Fri Mar 5 08:28:21 PST 2010

Hi all,

I have submitted a patch upstream to the E2fsprogs maintainers to add a
function to the libcom_err library so that it will be compatible with
Heimdal. Without the patch to E2fsprogs, Heimdal will end up adding a
new libcom_err library in /usr/lib and overwrite the .so file that points
to the E2fsprogs library, /lib/libcom_err.xxx.

E2fsprogs is already trying to support Heimdal. They added a file to
the package called com_right.c and added a definition to com_err.h which
adds the Heimdal com_right function.

However, Heimdal apparently has added a new function to their version of
libcom_err called com_right_r. My patch (from arch-linux) adds this
function so Heimdal will then use the existing libcom_err library from
E2fsprogs and everything works properly.

I would appreciate if the LFS dev team would consider adding this patch
to the E2fsprogs build in the -dev book until E2fsprogs adds it to a new
version of the package. For people building LFS-dev, the patch means that
Heimdal will install clean and not install an unneeded library.

I'll have to figure out something for the Heimdal package for users
installing on LFS-6.5 and LFS-6.6.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.22] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
10:18:01 up 68 days, 15:26, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.03, 0.01