Radeon DRM

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 03:24:29 PST 2010

On 05/03/10 09:38, Duncan Baynes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just built a 64bit lfs 6.6, everything went smoothly, excellent work as
> always!
>
> I've been playing around with the 2.6.33 kernel including the new radeon
> driver.
>
> The results are pretty awesome. I now have a high resolution console
> that is a pleasure to use.  I was thinking it might be a nice feature to
> add as an option... probably as a hint.
>
> The basic path is as follows:
>
> 1) compile the 2.6.33 kernel with firmware support, initramfs and the
> radeon driver enabled
> 2) create an initrd image for the kernel (there is a hint for this already)
> 3) decompress initrd image, mount it and insert the firmware bin for
> your card

You don't need to use and initrd, you can compile the firmware into the kernel. If
it's firmware that comes with the kernel use the option

CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y

And if you want to use firmware that doesn't come with the kernel, copy it into the
firmware folder in the kernel source and use the option

CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="<name-of-firmware>"

My system hangs early in the boot process if I enable kernel mode setting. From the
kernel's help page

 > This code support the following hardware : R1XX,R2XX,R3XX,R4XX,R5XX
 > (radeon up to X1950). Works is underway to provide support for R6XX,
 > R7XX and newer hardware (radeon from HD2XXX to HD4XXX).

I live in hope

Andy