LFS-6.6 test error explanations

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 15:36:31 PST 2010

I've been analyzing the test errors found when I was building LFS-6.6.
The logs are at

   http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/build-logs/6.6/

This is a summary:

glibc
   annexc - long time errors that can be ignored.

   tst-cpuclock2 -  this seems to be triggered by a setting in the
kernel for cpu-scaling.  That option is not needed on desktops, but it
is set by default.  It requires, by default, a user application to
change   cpu frequencies, but there are other options in the kernel.  I
think it can be ignored.

gcc
   bb-reorg.c
   pr34999.c  - These do not build properly in the test suite.  I found
an entry in the bug tracker that this has been fixed for gcc-4.5.

   libmudflap.c++/pass41-frag.cxx - This should be fixed in gcc-4.5 also.

automake
   aclocal5.test.  I couldn't track this down, but it seemed to pass and
fail on my system intermittently.  It passes all the time in a 32-bit
system.

gawk
   stackoverflow2 - This appears ot be a kernel issue.  I was building
using lfs-6.5 (kernel 2.6.30.2) and getting the failure.  It seems to be
fixed when rebuilding on a 2.6.32.8 kernel.

   machine specific failures - These are corner cases that test specific
64-bit boundary conditions.  They don't fail on a 32-bit system and do
appear to show up differently on different hardware.  The possibility of
running into problems here is very, very small.

I don't know if these errors should go into the book, be put on a web
page, or just left in the mail repository for people to find when
searching.  Putting details about all of them in the book seems to be
overkill, but we do have a section in 6.9, Glibc-2.11.1 about glibc test
errors and some general comments, including libmudflap, in 6.16,
GCC-4.4.3.  There is nothing in the automake or gawk sections of the book.

   -- Bruce