VCS for LFS

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 03:15:23 PST 2010

On 26/01/10 22:25, Marc Ferland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using LFS to create a specialized linux distribution at
> work. Everything is going as planned except that keeping track of all
> changes going into the distribution is nearly impossible.
>
> I often make changes to configuration files, I add new libraries,
> remove unneeded stuff, etc.
>
> I tought of maybe using SVN, but it doesn't really support the
> metadata associated with each file (only support the eXecutable flag
> if I remember correctly).
>
> So I'm currently using a combination of tar and rsync to keep an history
> of all versions. It works but I have to do a lot of things
> manually and I can't really diff between versions etc.
>
> Any of you had this problem before? If so how did you solve it?

I don't know exactly what you mean by metadata, but git works well for
me. If I need to ensure the correct ownership and permissions of a file
I would set it explicitly in one of my build scripts.
On the systems I look after /home is on a separate partition so I only
need to change the permissions of those files if I make a change to
/etc/passwd or /etc/group

Andy