Udev rule oddity

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 26 14:39:14 PST 2010

Hi,

I wasn't sure whether to report this as a bug in LFS or Udev or whether
it's just my misunderstanding.  If I remove
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent* (simulating how things look on a first
boot into a freshly-built system) I then get the following on a reboot:

udevd[371]: can not read '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules'
udevd[371]: can not read '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules'

By the time I've logged in, those files do exist because they were
created by write_cd_rules and write_net_rules respectively, in turn by
75-cd-aliases-generator.rules and 75-persistent-net-generator.rules.

So the question is, why does Udev try to read files that don't exist
yet? How does it even know that they will/should exist?  This looks to
me to be some kind of race condition but I'm not overly sure!

Thanks,

Matt.