[LFS-DEV] stable kernel in next release ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 23 19:04:14 PST 2010

2010/1/19 Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas <a.hatzim at gmail.com>:
> Hi Ken,

Hi Ag
> On Tue, Jan 19, at 08:03 Ken Moffat wrote:

[ 2.6.32 will be maintained long-term ]

> Anyway, the news remind me that LFS/BLFS doesn't have a maintainable stable
> branch, and these days where so many rapid changes happening from
> day-to-day, many folks actually wishing (including me) to run in their
> desktop stable software, which is (probably) future-less than the latest
> development, but bug-free (again supposedly), so it looks like a good idea.
>
> If there was a volunteer to lead the maintenance of such a stable branch, I
> would probably help him to back-port any bug fixes (I could dedicate some time
> once in a week or something).

 Usually, vulnerabilities in the base LFS system get addressed
fairly quickly (e.g. the move to libtool-2.2.6b).  Maybe that's
no longer true, but more likely people are just busy on other
things.  Unfortunately, it's always good practice to build a
system with the new package before putting it in to LFS,
(and ideally a complete system), so I don't feel able to
update the kernel or gzip at the moment.

 As to BLFS and stable systems, I've been burnt one time
too many.  I'm happy to advise people on what I build, and
if I can get a current system which is good (see my earlier
comments on mesa/dri) I might be able to again contribute
- but, my system is now newer than the current stable
BLFS target and I have no current interest in building for
32-bit i686.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"