LFS-6.5 RC2 plans

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 28 15:39:35 PDT 2009

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:20:32 -0500, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand the change.
>
>   Unpack the Binutils
>   sources and run the script: <userinput>./config.guess</userinput> and
> note
>   the output. For example, for a modern 32-bit Intel processor the
>   old - output will likely be
>   new - output will likely be
>
> Since when will it be i686-lfs-linux-gnu?  It's not that way for me on an
> older LFS.  On an LFS 6.5 system it IS that way.  We need to explain why the
> user may see different values in the 2nd position.
>
> Yes, it has to do with the LFS_TGT variable set in .bashrc, but that's not
> explained.

It's kind of implied by:

"Binutils installs its assembler and linker in two locations, /tools/bin and
/tools/$LFS_TGT/bin."

But maybe that's a little too subtle?  See below why that might be enough
though.

> On the host system, it almost certainly won't be i686-lfs-linux-gnu
> unless it is a more recent LFS system.

Yup, my search & replace foo was a bit too eager here.  Fixed in the
updated patch, now on the ticket.  So, the target-triplet in the
information box will read 'i686-pc-linux-gnu' as that's the most
common triplet for our current target audience.  Everywhere else will
read 'i686-lfs-linux-gnu' as that's what's set in LFS_TGT.

> Also the patch that changes line 128 uses i686-pc-linux-gnu in the
> example.

Also fixed up, thanks for the review!

Regards,

Matt.