Util-Linux _NG 2.16-rc2

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 12:37:20 PDT 2009

+Jan wrote:
> Hey lfs-dev,
>
> I just ran through the development chapter 5 without any problems.
> Just on the subject of util-linux-ng, there's this small section in
> chapter 5 near the bottom:
>

> Install the shared libraries required by E2fsprogs:
>
>   make -C shlibs/uuid install
>   make -C shlibs/blkid install
>

> Since e2fsprogs is no longer installed in chapter 5, and util-linux-ng
> is built right before e2fsprogs in chapter 6, I think it's safe to
> remove this.

Now that you point this out, I'm not sure any of the programs in util-linux-ng
are needed in Chapter 6 before we get to the final installation of util-linux-ng.

The programs are mount, umount, more, and mkswap.  The only thing I can think of
that needs more is if the user is looking at man pages, but we don't install
man-db until after util-linux-ng.  The other three are not needed by us within
the chroot environment, but may be needed in one or more of the test programs.

So now the question arises: Do we need util-linux-ng in Chapter 5?

   -- Bruce