Binutils 'gold' viability?

dean talbot lists at dtxs.co.uk
Sun Aug 23 03:57:56 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask if any of the more toolchain-savvy list-members have
done any testing of the 'gold' linker that's an option in binutils?

I initially read about it on the Chromium site, and some of the

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxFasterBuilds

...But i've since read elsewhere that it was developed by a Google
employee, so am unsure whether or not to allow for the possibility of
bias in those reports.

The only reference i can find in the archive is in Ryan's 'Sysroot'
post from last December.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2008-December/062482.html

I'm planning a new build at the moment and would appreciate any better
versed opinions than my own on this subject.

Thanks in advance,

Dean