"mount --bind" with rootfs

John Frankish j-frankish at slb.com
Tue Apr 14 21:07:44 PDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: lfs-dev-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org [mailto:lfs-dev-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of Ken Moffat
Sent: 14 April, 2009 17:30
To: LFS Developers Mailinglist
Subject: Re: "mount --bind" with rootfs

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 06:52:53AM +0200, John Frankish wrote:
> As per Chapter 6.2.2 of SVN-20090401 where the host (tinycorelinux) runs entirely in ram I get this:
>
> # mount --bind /dev /mnt/sdc1/dev
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev,
> missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail  or so
>
> I understand this is something to do with rootfs (the ,dev option is set for sdc1), but cannot find how to get around it - I'd be grateful for any suggestions
>
> Thanks, John
> --
 This probably belongs on lfs-support.

 The only time I saw anything like this (trying to mount ext4, in
that case I had to rebuild some things) the explanation was indeed
in syslog, so please check what that says.

 The problem is probably your host system - tinycorelinux is based
on busybox.  I guess any error message in the syslog will show that
the configuration of busybox in tinycorelinux doesn't support the
--bind option for mount.

ĸen
--
Thanks for the feedback

In fact I'd replaced busybox mount with the full gnu version so it's not that (but since /tools/bin is already at the front of the path by this stage it would use the version there?). Since posting, I experimented with installing the host (tinycorelinux) as per a "traditional" linux installation, rather than un-packing it to ram on boot and "mount --bind" works in this mode.

John