"mount --bind" with rootfs

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 14 06:30:18 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 06:52:53AM +0200, John Frankish wrote:
> As per Chapter 6.2.2 of SVN-20090401 where the host (tinycorelinux) runs entirely in ram I get this:
>
> # mount --bind /dev /mnt/sdc1/dev
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev,
> missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail  or so
>
> I understand this is something to do with rootfs (the ,dev option is set for sdc1), but cannot find how to get around it - I'd be grateful for any suggestions
>
> Thanks, John
> --
 This probably belongs on lfs-support.

 The only time I saw anything like this (trying to mount ext4, in
that case I had to rebuild some things) the explanation was indeed
in syslog, so please check what that says.

 The problem is probably your host system - tinycorelinux is based
on busybox.  I guess any error message in the syslog will show that
the configuration of busybox in tinycorelinux doesn't support the
--bind option for mount.

ĸen