randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 7 07:00:34 PDT 2008
Please reference http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/2181
In this ticket there are 3 issues I'd like to address so we can
close this ticket.
The /usr/bin/wall program from Sysvinit program is overwritten
during the Util-linux-ng installation. Choices are:
1. Not worry about it and move the wall binary explanation from
the Sysvinit instructions to Util-linux-ng.
2. Suppress the installation of the wall program in Util-linux-ng.
3. Do #1 and suppress the installation of the wall program in the
I like #3 but I've not investigated what it takes to suppress the
installation of the wall program from either package.
The /usr/bin/write program is no longer installed by default during
the Util-linux-ng installation. Choices are:
1. Simply remove the write program explanation from the Util-Linux-ng
2. Pass a configure switch to the Util-Linux-ng configure command so
that the write program is built and installed.
I like #2.
The CLFS build passes a configure switch so that the "partx" and
related programs are built and installed.
I think it is a good idea. I'd like other views as well.
I'm updating the Util-Linux-ng package now to 2.14.1. I'd like to
resolve the issues above so that whatever is decided can go into the
book as soon as possible.
More information about the lfs-dev