Readjusting toolchain nitpick

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 28 21:49:29 PST 2008

Greg Schafer wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>
>> We can simplify the sed expression and get rid of the note entirely if we
>> change it to:
>>
>>      -e 's@/tools@@g'
>>
>> Anyone have any objections to this change?
>
> I'd just like to make the following points:
>
> 1. You're introducing a distinct lack of clarity about what is actually
>    being performed.
>
> 2. The dynamic linker issue is such a critical aspect in the whole process
>    that it warrants highlighting.

I appreciate those concerns, and a concise explanation about what is
happening should still be highlighted textually. My motives for the
change are that it simplifies the command and it will work for all
cases, so there would be no need to say 'use a different linker name if
your platform requires it'. I always thought that was kind of an
unfitting warning anyway for a book that claims to support only x86.

--
JH