The value of 64-bit vs 32-bit

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Fri Nov 28 03:40:32 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Huntwork" <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 4:43 AM
Subject: Re: The value of 64-bit vs 32-bit

> The only consideration, to my mind, would then be: should LFS worry
> about providing multilib support or not?

Or provide optionally a 64b kernel and keep the same 32b user-space?
That's what we do for sparc64.
On x86_64, this would solve the memory limit issue.

Only for binutils and gcc, before compiling the kernel, we add a stage where
we cross-compile another binutils/gcc. No lib is cross-compiled.

Supplemental work is very minimal.
I don't know if it's clean to do this way but this is reported to work.
The only problem I know actually is that I was not able to run make check on
this
cross-compile-gcc.

Gilles