The value of 64-bit vs 32-bit

Clyde Forrester ccf3 at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 27 19:47:17 PST 2008

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> Of course, if you have to choose between the two bit widths (i.e. if we
> don't support multilib -- and I realize that would be a lot of work!),
> it may still make sense to go with 32-bit, given the huge set of
> programs already written out there.  But if you can run both, I see no
> reason not to.

Chicken and egg. Operating environment and apps. Who blinks first.

I wanna find the problems and fix 'em. I wanna play with 64 bits. The
sooner, the better. I wanna see the Linux community get hep to 64 bits
long before Microsoft does. I think this is a good opportunity to take
the lead.

Of course, maybe it's not LFS's place to blaze that trail. Maybe that's
for Slackware or Fedora or Ubuntu. Is Gentoo still relevant? What say y'all?

Clyde