The value of 64-bit vs 32-bit

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 27 18:23:41 PST 2008

Greetings,

About a month or so ago I'd said I'd start looking into writing a
section for LFS that deals with pros/cons of using full 64-bit
libs/binaries in Linux, since LFS is considering adding in 64-bit support.

I came across this article:

http://forums.amd.com/devblog/blogpost.cfm?threadid=93648&catid=317

and several other articles from people who at various times benchmarked
performance with 32-bit vs 64-bit on the same hardware.

Just two quick questions:

* Any comments on the details provided in the above article,
specifically in how that might relate to LFS?

* If you were to benchmark 32-bit vs 64-bit on an LFS system, what would
your tests include?

--
JH