Problems with PDF Output

Thomas Reitelbach tr at erdfunkstelle.de
Wed Nov 26 12:53:37 PST 2008

On Dienstag, 25. November 2008, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> /S/SBUThomas Reitelbach wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > the german translation for LFS 6.4 is already finished. But I got a
> > problem with the PDF output and I'm pretty sure that you can help me :)
> >
> > Attached you'll find a little screenshot which shows, how the translated
> > PDF looks like. You'll notice, that the translated text is too long,
> > which makes it break into the next line.
> >
> > I'll have to modify the margin in such a way, that the column with "22
> > SBU" has more space to the left. But I cannot find the correct place in
> > the books stylesheets. Can someone please point me to the correct place?
>
> That is some magic that is in stylesheets/lfs-xsl/lfs-pdf.xsl or in
> one of the files in stylesheets/lfs-xsl/pdf/.
>
> I didn't publish a pdf for LFS 6.4 because there were many problems.  There
> are many places, like in the included boot scripts and especially udev
> files, where the line length exceeds 72 characters and causes overflow to
> the right and truncation.  There is an even greater problem where the
> number of lines in a single construct are too much for a page.  This
> includes many of the boot scripts and also the table in 6.47. Man-DB-2.5.2.
>  I don't know how to fix this so I just didn't include the pdf in the
> downloads section.
>
> If someone can come up with a fix, I'd be glad to publish the pdf too.

Please don't take this as a reproach. I'm really not in the position to blame
anyone because you're all doing such an importan "job"!
But it would have been wise to fix this before the release. I'm of course not
one of those people to decide such things. But for the last releases i
believe that someone (who?) resolved rendering issues like this with the
book.

I'll try to fix my german PDFs. If I'm successfull I'll of course have a look
if my fixes can be useful for the original book as well.

Cheers :-)
Thomas