Problems with PDF Output

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 12:07:38 PST 2008

/S/SBUThomas Reitelbach wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> the german translation for LFS 6.4 is already finished. But I got a problem
> with the PDF output and I'm pretty sure that you can help me :)
>
> Attached you'll find a little screenshot which shows, how the translated PDF
> looks like. You'll notice, that the translated text is too long, which makes
> it break into the next line.
>
> I'll have to modify the margin in such a way, that the column with "22 SBU"
> has more space to the left. But I cannot find the correct place in the books
> stylesheets. Can someone please point me to the correct place?

That is some magic that is in stylesheets/lfs-xsl/lfs-pdf.xsl or in
one of the files in stylesheets/lfs-xsl/pdf/.

I didn't publish a pdf for LFS 6.4 because there were many problems.  There are
many places, like in the included boot scripts and especially udev files, where
the line length exceeds 72 characters and causes overflow to the right and
truncation.  There is an even greater problem where the number of lines in a
single construct are too much for a page.  This includes many of the boot
scripts and also the table in 6.47. Man-DB-2.5.2.  I don't know how to fix this
so I just didn't include the pdf in the downloads section.

If someone can come up with a fix, I'd be glad to publish the pdf too.

   -- Bruce