Perl error

Tobias Gasser lfs at ebp-gasser.ch
Fri Nov 14 18:07:59 PST 2008

Ken Moffat schrieb:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 04:14:33PM +0100, Tobias Gasser wrote:
>
> [ not commenting on the main problem, or your seds - I find perl's
> configuration painful enough at the best of times, so I'm chickening
> out for the moment ]

[...]

>  The crypt() function is unimplemented due to excessive paranoia
>  (F) Configure couldn’t find the crypt() function on your machine,
>  probably because your vendor didn’t supply it, probably because
>  they think the U.S. Government thinks it’s a secret, or at least
>  that they will continue to pretend that it is.  And if you quote
>  me on that, I will deny it.
[big grin]

> Do you have /mnt/lfs/usr/include/crypt.h ?
yes! (installed by glibc)

> Is this a native build, or are you running in a vm ?
native

> What is your host system, and which kernel is it running ?
 > /proc/cpuinfo ?

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 4
model name	: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.93GHz
stepping	: 1
cpu MHz		: 2927.865
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 5
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm
constant_tsc up pebs bts sync_rdtsc pni monitor ds_cpl tm2 cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips	: 5862.84
clflush size	: 64

uname -m: i686
uname -p: pentium4
uname -i: i386

memory: 1gb ram, no swap

kernel 2.6.24 (lfs, february 08)

i never bevor had to add -Dusedl to get dynamic libraries.
the failure in test with dynaloader seem to make the same strange
assumptions about my system as configure.

the steps in the book produce a failure on 3 out of 3 runs. after
posting here i got a hint from gilles:

sed -i -e "@libs\s*=@libs = -lm@" Makefile
now i had 5 out of 5 runs with success, but static. the rest of chapter
6 was fine, kernel too, and the system booted

the best result i got with the seds as posted. bash scripts are fun:
last night i had 60 runs, 16 with success, 44 failures (i stopped after
make, i don't know wether all 16 successes had the 3 failures in the test).

thanks for your help
tobias