Version in glibc

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 22:44:16 PST 2008

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:08:07 -0500
Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> We've gone a long time saying that we aren't a distro. But in a sense we
> are. The book is _very_ specific as to its instructions. If you follow
> it you have an LFS system. (We even have our own bootscripts!). If you
> don't follow it you have either a mess or some sort of your own
> quasi-ma-jig distro type thingy.

Following this logic, we should document:

#define VERSION "2.8-20080929-LFS-svn20081101-built-by-John-Doe"

since we can't control how it was really built.  It's for this reason,
lack of control of the build options, that we MUST not call LFS a
distro. (You'll say Gentoo isn't one either then, and I agree)

I, for one, am proud that LFS is not a distro, and not everyone uses the LFS bootscripts :)

R.