Version in glibc

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 12 13:08:07 PST 2008

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> I'm inclined to agree with Randy here, in that as we don't modify the upstream sources at all, there's no need to 'LFS' in the version string.  That, to me, suggests that there's something LFS specific about the sources.  I'd think it would suggest the same to upstream as well, such that should an LFS user or developer provide them with a bug report containing that string, they may well direct users back to lfs-dev based on that assumption.

I can see your point, but just to be a Devil's advocate here, while
there's no modifications to the sources, there is a definite standard
build instruction which affects the end result very much. If another
distro were to build Glibc without any modifications, a label of some
sort is still appropriate because they _way_ they build it is specific
to their distro and identifies the resultant package with those build
options.

We've gone a long time saying that we aren't a distro. But in a sense we
are. The book is _very_ specific as to its instructions. If you follow
it you have an LFS system. (We even have our own bootscripts!). If you
don't follow it you have either a mess or some sort of your own
quasi-ma-jig distro type thingy.

At the least, presenting an option like this demonstrates to the reader
just a little bit more about customizing their build.

--
JH