gmp required ABI=32

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed Nov 12 02:32:16 PST 2008

Ken Moffat wrote:

>  My box built gmp and the first part of chapter 6 during the night
> without any apparent problem.  The host system was LFS-6.3 with a
> current kernel.

I just looked into this. It appears the bug only tickles when CFLAGS are
set. ie: if CFLAGS are set in the environment, it guesses the wrong ABI
when building 32-bit x86 on 64-bit AMD hardware (not sure about Intel).
You can easily reproduce this by setting CFLAGS then running ./configure.
Issue is exacerbated due to GMP's "tricked up" config.guess ie:

$ ./config.guess
athlon64-pc-linux-gnu
$ /usr/share/libtool/config/config.guess
i686-pc-linux-gnu
$ /usr/share/automake-1.10/config.guess
i686-pc-linux-gnu

The CFLAGS aspect at least explains why everyone is not seeing this.

>  This implies Tobias has both a compiler and libc in chroot that are
> able to handle -m64.

No. See above.

Regards
Greg