dhclient in LFS

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri May 30 08:03:54 PDT 2008

On May 30, 2008, at 6:02 AM, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Zachary Kotlarek wrote these words on 05/29/08 20:24 CST:
>
>> 	http://zinux.cynicbytrade.com/svn/devel/dhcp/iproute2.diff
>
> I'm not sure this patch qualifies as an LFS patch. Patches in LFS
> are used to fix something that is broken or provide required
> functionality that is not available without the patch.
>
> This patch does a lot more than that. In fact, some of it is just
> personal opinion changes over what comes from upstream. The stuff
> to change to iproute must be there. Much of what is changed doesn't
> really even do anything at all, it is simply cosmetic.
>
> Most of the changes in the patch should go upstream and not in an
> LFS patch.

That's what I said went I sent it -- some of it is important changes
to work with iproute2, some of it is less important but probably
useful but debatable changes to make DHCPv4 work like DHCPv6, and some
of it is just cruft cleanup/standardizing the style/personal hacking.
I could have made 3 different patches to keep those bits separate, but
when I wrote it I didn't really plan on other people using it. I just
offered it here as a place to start if someone wanted to get DHCP
4.0.0 working.

	Zach