Moving 'setclock' to earlier in the boot sequence

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Tue May 27 12:10:15 PDT 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at beekmansworld.com> wrote:
> Please see http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/2160
>
> The ticket is about a potential issue with bootscripts and from it came
> a suggestion to move the setclock call to earlier in the sequence. It
> would help to address the issue but also having the system clock set
> accurately earlier is good for other things.
>
> Is there any reason why we wouldn't want the system clock set properly
> using the 'setclock' script right after modules are loaded and udev is
> setup?
>
> If there are no technical objections this will become a new Trac ticket.
>
> Gerard

Dependencies:
-The setclock script depends on /etc/sysconfig/clock, and possibly the
udev system being loaded.

Problem:
We wish to address the issue of cleanfs not doing it's job,
preferrably by checking against the mounting date of /proc.

Resolution Suggestion:
-I was taking a closer look at this issue, and I think moving it
before mountkernfs would be an ideal time.  I dont recall if setclock
needed a devicenode or not, but I cant see any reason why we cant add
a static devicenode for this.  This is where we mount /proc, and that
is what cleanfs decides to check against.

Impact:
- possible creation of a static devicenode.

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------