dhclient in LFS

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 26 23:35:53 PDT 2008

Robert Daniels wrote:
> On Monday 26 May 2008 10:39:51 DJ Lucas wrote:
>
> Fair warning, build instructions will have to change for dhcp-4.0.0.  It
> now installs into /usr/local by default, so it needs several configure
> switches to mirror the install in 3.X.X.  Entirely aside from that, I
> can't make it work, either using the blfs bootscripts, or by executing
> it on the command line. I don't think any changes would be required
> upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1, however.

This is because dhclient-script (client/scripts/linux) is not
installed..they broke it.

/var/log/daemon.log:May 27 06:12:05 name25 dhclient: execve
(/etc/dhclient-script, ...): No such file or directory

I never wrote a service script to test, so only from command line, but
it appears to work.  Patch will be in the repo in a few, while it says
submitted, it won't be for a few days.  I'm going to work up a client
and client-install target in the top level, and fix the client
installation to install the script again (3 separate patches) before I
send upstream.  Should probably check to make sure it isn't already
reported first, but it can wait till tomorrow.

Anyway, for now, this is *really* ugly but is the minimum work for the
computer (not the user) for a client only installation.  It's probably
better just to build everything and only install the client, but
hopefully they'll accept a patch to build and install only the client:

patch -Np1 -i ../dhcp-4.0.0-iprote2-1.patch &&
./configure --prefix= --mandir=/usr/share/man &&
make -C common &&
make -C minires &&
make -C dst &&
make -C omapip &&
make -C client &&
sudo make -C common install &&
sudo mv /usr/share/man/man5/dhcp-eval.5 \
    /usr/share/man/man5/dhclient-eval.5 &&
sudo mv /usr/share/man/man5/dhcp-options.5 \
    /usr/share/man/man5/dhclient-options.5 &&
sudo sed -e 's at dhcp-options@dhclient-options at g' \
         -e 's at dhcp-eval@dhclient-eval at g' \
         -i /usr/share/man/man5/dhclient-{eval,options}.5 &&
sudo make -C client install &&
sudo install -m700 client/scripts/linux /etc/dhclient-script

Might also want to add --sysconfdir=/etc/dhclient to the configure
command line, and of course, move the script appropriately.

-- DJ Lucas