dhclient in LFS

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 26 08:39:51 PDT 2008

Robert Daniels wrote:
> On Monday 26 May 2008 02:01:32 DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> Why dhclient over dhcpcd?  I don't really care much, but my argument
>> is over installing the server...ISC installs both (can we install
>> just dhclient?  It's not done in BLFS currently), while dhcpcd only
>> installs the client.  It'll be decided by the user anyway, but I
>> think installing ISC is probably not the best direction for the base
>> LFS unless it's easy to separate out the client from the server.
>>

> The problem I would have with dhcpcd is that if the user later wants to
> install the dhcp server, they would now have 2 dhcp clients installed.
> This isn't a huge deal, as it's not like dhcpcd is particularly large,
> but I would rather just separate out the client from the ISC package.
>
> I just went through the Makefiles for dhcp-3.1.1 and 3.0.6, and it looks
> like there is no separate make target to get just the client, but we
> can change to the working directory for the client and install from
> there, like so:
> make -C work.linux-2.2/client install
>
> I haven't verified that this does result in a working installation, but
> it appears sane.

If it looks like it's easy to do, then that's good enough for
consideration.  Seems like more of the respondents to this thread are
comfortable with dhclient, which is reason enough to go with it over
dhcpcd.  DHCP-4.0.0 is out too and the iproute2 patch will have to be
updated (or reintroduce net-tools).  Might as well add a makefile target
for the client only install and send both upstream (where?).  Feel free,
if not, I'll try to do it later this week.

-- DJ Lucas