dhclient in LFS

Robert Daniels rdaniels at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 26 04:09:02 PDT 2008

On Monday 26 May 2008 02:01:32 DJ Lucas wrote:
> Why dhclient over dhcpcd?  I don't really care much, but my argument
> is over installing the server...ISC installs both (can we install
> just dhclient?  It's not done in BLFS currently), while dhcpcd only
> installs the client.  It'll be decided by the user anyway, but I
> think installing ISC is probably not the best direction for the base
> LFS unless it's easy to separate out the client from the server.

The problem I would have with dhcpcd is that if the user later wants to
install the dhcp server, they would now have 2 dhcp clients installed.
This isn't a huge deal, as it's not like dhcpcd is particularly large,
but I would rather just separate out the client from the ISC package.

I just went through the Makefiles for dhcp-3.1.1 and 3.0.6, and it looks
like there is no separate make target to get just the client, but we
can change to the working directory for the client and install from
there, like so:
make -C work.linux-2.2/client install

I haven't verified that this does result in a working installation, but
it appears sane.

--
Robert Daniels