[LFS Trac] #2057: Udev-122

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu May 22 12:45:54 PDT 2008

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>
>> Rather than trying to fix udev, and it sounds like there isn't a
>> solution that isn't hackish and has a risk of not working any day now
>> with new releases. How about we fix our network setup.
>
> Yes, this is possible. However, this requires dropping udev and moving to a
> static /etc/sysconfig/modules file.

The advantage of udev is, of course, the ability to plug in a device like a usb
drive after the system is running and have it come up automatically.  This is a
very desirable thing for a desktop or laptop, but not that important for a server.

Do we want to cover the ability to create static devices instead of using udev?
This does argue for an appendix on network configuration for scenarios more
complex than a single eth0 interface.

I am not sure how to handle the issue of multiple network cards using the old
methodology other than just doing a reboot and seeing what came up.  I do
believe that under to old system you could count on the cards coming up in the
same order every time.