[LFS Trac] #2057: Udev-122

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:11:37 PDT 2008

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> Rather than trying to fix udev, and it sounds like there isn't a
> solution that isn't hackish and has a risk of not working any day now
> with new releases. How about we fix our network setup.

Yes, this is possible. However, this requires dropping udev and moving to a
static /etc/sysconfig/modules file. <troll>And, optionally, switching to the
FreeBSD kernel, which cannot create name collisions (because the driver name is
a part of the interface name--e.g., an Intel card gets "em0", while a Realtek
card gets "rl0").</troll>

BTW, one pleasant surprise for me recently (while testing solutions for #2057)
was that I could install modern kernels on a Sarge virtual machine (that
originally shipped with 2.6.8 or 2.4.?? kernel) that didn't have udev--and
everything "just worked". With udev, I would have to worry about compatibility
when upgrading kernels.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov