RPM vs DEB vs Slackware-like tgz

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 22 08:36:50 PDT 2008

> Right, that's why I was saying you'd probably want to minimize the
> macro usage in general. However, from the perspective of someone using
> RPM, I really want to use the macros.

Make up our own? We then need to distribute that as part of the rpm
package installation.

Call them things like %lfs-configure which runs the basic common
configure command as per the book. A few packages have differences where
we can override them (different prefix than usual). I assume you can add
command line options to %configure macros ie "%configure --enable-shared"?

It'd become %lfs-configure --enable-something --disable-something-else

Maybe along with our versions of make and install. Perhaps we can
further boiler-plate it down to a standard %lfs-build macro which does
"./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install" with or without
running a test suite in the middle.

Is that an idea worth considering? (I don't know RPM well enough so I'm
just throwing out ideas based on my scripting experience).

Gerard