RPM vs DEB vs Slackware-like tgz

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 22 07:29:53 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>>> for any bog standard autotooled package:
>>>
>>> %configure
>>>
>>> Looks simple enough: it runs ./configure for you. However, there's a
>>
>> So to summarize simply using the %configure macro won't run it like we'd
>> want the configure script to be run.
>>
>> Can't it be overridden or introduce our own %configure-like macro that
>> does run things like the book does?
>
> I guess I don't understand.  Are we going to create a source RPM for every
> package and then install from that?  I didn't think that was our intention.
>
> This seems to be the knotty problem.  Just how are we going to *use* PM in LFS?

If you're a non-PM person, you create a script from the commands in
the book. If you're a PM person, you create a spec file or rules file
or whatever else is the input format to your package manager. I don't
think we want to get in the business of distributing any of the PM
outputs. Just that we provide all the necessary inputs. For an RPM,
that's sources and a spec file. For something simple like tar-based,
it's just sources and a script.

--
Dan