Future of LFS - scripts and licenses

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed May 21 23:12:00 PDT 2008

TheOldFellow wrote:

> I really like what Bruce has done.

Thanks.

> The udev scripts (and any other
> package's configuration that is sufficiently complex to need an example,
> even in BLFS) do need to be added too.  Can the packages bootscripts not
> be auto-generated from the book XML (or preferably, vice versa) - to make
> maintenance easier?

The bootscripts are uploaded in ascii, ready to run and a script copies all the
bootscripts into a tarball.  I do not propose to change that.  The purpose of
putting the scripts in the book was educational/convenience but not meant as a
means for installing the scripts.

What I did in the xml was fairly simple.  I just copied the scripts from the
subversion checkout and ran a sed to convert things like & to &.  Example:

sed -e '/\&/\&amp\;/ ../bootscripts/lfs/init.d/halt > appendices/halt.script

In the XML:

<!ENTITY halt SYSTEM "halt.script">

<sect1 id="haltscript" role="wrap">
   <title>/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt</title>
   <screen>&halt;</screen>
</sect1>

and later in the Makefile after the scripts are incorporated

rm appendices/*.script

   -- Bruce