RPM vs DEB vs Slackware-like tgz

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Wed May 21 21:24:28 PDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> This seems to be the knotty problem.  Just how are we going to *use* PM in LFS?

Both RPM and Debian package managers require writing a set of control files in
order to create a package. Although it is possible to write dummy files
containing only packaging information for pre-built files (and no building
instructions), this is not how these tools are supposed to be used. I.e., I
strongly object to this severe lobotomization. In this case, a simpler package
management scheme is needed. However, in simple tar-based schemes, there is a
trap in handling configuration files when upgrading a package.

So: given that we still can't agree on the set of features to implement, I
propose LFS to never have any sort of PM, and those who disagree with this "no
PM" policy should start a fork right now.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov