[LFS Trac] #2057: Udev-122

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon May 19 21:57:59 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/2057#comment:25
>
> And after reading it, hopefully everyone will:
>
> 1. agree with it or
> 2. provide a better solution

Thanks for the ping on this Randy.  I'm answering this here on lfs-dev rather
than than within the ticket to get the broader community involved and because
I'm going to make a summary that wouldn't be appropriate for the ticket.

As I understand it, the issue is as follows.  Please correct me if I have it
wrong or am missing some nuance.
-----------
If a system has more than one network card that could be identified with the
same prefix, (eth0, eth1, etc).  We would like to like to configure udev within
chroot so it will maintain the same relationship of ethx to the specific network
card that currently exists upon reboot.  This is not currently possible in the
newer udev instantiations without a patch developed by Bryan.

Other distros like RH, SuSE, Debian, don't even try it.
----------

 From what I can tell, this should only be an issue if:

1. Someone is building an LFS system via ssh and needs to be able to have
networking (and ssh) work when the system comes up.

2. The network card hardware is as described above.

3. The network cards are connected to different networks that cannot interchange
static ip addresses.

In my mind, this is a very specialized need.  It appears that Bryan has come up
with a methodology (or two!) that would work but are complex and not appropriate
for the mainline of the book.

IMO, the way to address this is not with a complex set of rules for the book or
a patch and multiple build method, but a warning about the issue and a pointer
to a hint or wiki entry to handle the specific problem for those few people that
need it.

   -- Bruce