Future of LFS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 19 08:39:14 PDT 2008

> F.W.I.W. A Not-For Profit cost here in BC comes to around $500.
> I have been a member of a couple of them, founding member of one.

The costs are similar here in Alberta from the sounds of it. An Alberta
registered numbered company is relatively cheap. The annual renewal fee
is in the order of $25. If we want a registered name (ie LFS Foundation
rather than a series of numbers), it'll be more money - a name search
needs to be initiated to make sure there's no copyright and trademark
violation due to a too similar name, etc, etc.

Then there's overhead costs as well - yearly audits, taxes, etc. These
can range from $500 a year to a few thousand a year depending on the
requirements imposed (finding the right lawyer and accountant isn't
necessarily cheap).

These costs are prohibitive. LFS as it currently stands doesn't make
enough money. Of course it's never been our focus to make money other
than to try and break even on the colocation bill. But this becomes more
of a requirement if we go this route.

It'll be a discussion for the near future. It's not the highest priority
item on our list yet.

Gerard