Future of LFS

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 19 08:24:18 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 05/18/08 14:36 CST:

> I wanted to wait a bit before commenting to see if anyone else would
> comment first. But perhaps the lack of comments is in part because
> people feel it has all been said already?
>
> [snip proposal]

I don't enter these types of discussions any longer for the simple
reason that it has become too difficult (for me, anyway) to argue
against another idea (or provide countering suggestions). What
has typically happened (in my perspective), is similar to this:

Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 05/18/08 15:49 CST:
> Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>
>> Also keep the following in mind: we don't need to necessarily change the
>> XML structure to make it easier for other people to contribute.
>
> I respectfully disagree. Our current XML syntax isn't the easiest to
> work with and it doesn't do all we would like to do (such as define PM
> type). I'm glad you mentioned 'itemizedlist' and 'listitem'. Those are
> two of my least favorite tags, partly because they are so long and
> unwieldly. Another is the whole <screen><userinput> combination.

(Don't construe the listed individuals as anything to do with my
past involvement in discussion, I only used this as an example of
why I don't contribute any longer).

At this point in a discussion, I won't say anything any more.
Using Gerard's point as an example, and then someone disagreeing
with him, I won't say anything more. I used to want to discuss until
the cows came home, but it was futile. It only started arguments
(again, just my perception).

Now, I'll let the merits of my original suggestion stand for itself,
and hope that it doesn't get lost in the shuffle of "well I disagree
because of this or that ...". Which is good mind you, I just don't
have the time or energy to continue on, in something that typically
is too controversial for everyone to come to a consensus anyway.

So now I just sit back and read the posts (ignoring the ones that
simply restate what already has been said in trying to provide
counter-arguments; there is much of this  :-) )

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.22] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
10:08:02 up 92 days, 56 min, 1 user, load average: 0.49, 0.14, 0.05