Future of LFS

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Sun May 18 23:35:16 PDT 2008

On Sun, 18 May 2008 16:03:36 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>
>> Take a look at http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/wiki/LFSFuture
>
> In some cases, the changes proposed only require general agreement of
> what to do and the accomplishment of the task would be relatively easy.
> In others, the changes would be pervasive throughout the book.
>
> This is my take on the issues:
>
>     1. Educational content
>
> This is still the most important aspect of the book.  Adding more
> educational content is always good.  A couple of things that I would
> like to see is elaboration of the meaning of what the configuration of
> packages mean with the emphasis on udev and the kernel.  A discussion of
> modules vs compiling in drivers would be useful.
>
> I would also like to add the boot scripts to the book as appendices with
> some more comments in the scripts as to what is happening.
>
> I'd also like to expand Chapter 7 to explain the boot process better
> starting with how the kernel finds init and what happens when it is
> found.  Pointers to alternative boot methods and a description of what
> they do differently from System V in the book would not be
> inappropriate.

It's always seemed to me that the current book scripts were too much of a
'finished work' for an educational book.  The temptation to just install
them blindly is overwhelming.  The same goes with the udev scripts
provided.

My own view would be not to have a scripts package at all, and just
maintain pages in the book that have to be understood to be used at all.

Of course, being one of the anti-sysvinit brigade, I would say that.  But
I venture to say that I probably understand LFS's scripts better than
most people because I don't use them!

R.