Future of LFS

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 18 21:30:36 PDT 2008

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Yes, that's the point, and you describe the purpose of the _current_ XML in the
> book precisely.
>
> The problem with Jeremy's approach is that his XML is different and unsuitable
> for PDF generation, and the rest of the tasks can be done with a simpler
> Wiki-like syntax once one writes additional parsers.

It continues to amaze me... I show a Proof Of Concept as _potential_ for
a direction that LFS could take, it's purpose being illustrative and to
show potential. And yet, each time, it is judged solely by what is seen
as if it is supposed to be a complete picture. It is like I have to do a
full spread before anyone _gets_ what I'm trying to do.

The XML there was by no means complete, and part of the reason I chose
XML was exactly because of the possibilities of rendering it into a
variety of formats. I realize this will require more than what is shown,
as will, for example, linking pages into a full book with ordered flow.

In any case, as to what is there, you can certainly render it into PDF
format provided you have set up another filter to produce something
recognizable by FOP, just as we have set up a filter to produce
something recognizable by a web browser.

--
JH